If you are like many of my students, you've had your DSLR (aka Your Big Girl Camera) for a while now. You thought your pictures would be amazing--but you were disappointed. The pictures were good, but not that much different than your iPhone AND the camera was WAY more complicated. You are afraid to use your big girl camera for fear of missing the money shot.
YOU HAD EVERY INTENTION OF LEARNING HOW TO USE IT!
You sat down and read the manual...holy confusing! You tried to watch YouTube but there were so many choices and options. Where to start? You just want the following:
- Your camera explained in simple, low-tech language
- To know which buttons and menu options you should care about
- To understand WHY using your big girl camera makes the pictures look different and how you can achieve it.
- To organize your photos in such a way that your computer does not become a digital wasteland and that you're able to find important photos when you need them most.
- Most importantly, you want this information in one place, easy to access, and with a real, live person at the other end ready to answer your questions.
I'VE BEEN THERE TOO!
When I bought my first SLR (before there was a "D") I never took it off of Auto. My pictures were "better" but still filled with red eye, lots of pop up flash, and bad light. I knew I wanted to do better and began investing in classes. This was back in the day when you had to show up in person and the choices were few and far between. Since then, I've taken countless classes, read book after book, and invested in many online workshops. Over the years, photography has grown from a hobby to a full blown career.
I CAN HELP YOU DO THE SAME!
Whether you want to take photos of your growing family, or you are launching your own business and need to take your own photos during the startup phase, I can help you get the most from your investment and set you up for long-term success. During this 3-week class you'll learn to:
- Organize your photos...find anything, even years from now!
- Understand Your Camera...know what all those buttons and menus mean.
- Move off of Auto and take control of your photos.
- Create that dreamy blurry background that sets a Big Girl Camera photo apart from your phone.
- Get creative with shutter speed to create movement and special effects in your photos.
- "See the scene" more artistically. You'll begin to notice details everywhere you go!
- "Read" the light...bad light=bad picture...no matter what camera you use.
MY ULTIMATE GOAL?
I want you to experience the THRILL of an amazing picture...you know, when you just NAIL it! I want you to have the CONFIDENCE that you can get those shots consistently and under any circumstance. Finally, I want to spread my PASSION on to you in the hopes that you'll want to capture your life beautifully.
"...the ability to work at your own pace and revisit videos, paired with your responsiveness as an instructor equals a huge benefit to the student."
~Mandy, current student
"I got my first "real camera" in 2009 and couldn't wait to use it! 6 years later, I was still shooting in auto and longing to know how to REALLY use it. I met Andrea and signed up for her Beginner's class. I was hooked!! I loved how she made understanding the basics so simple. My photos got 100% better just from that class. Andrea does such a fabulous job putting technical information in an easy to understand lesson. I just wish I'd met her earlier!"
- Melissa Harmon, Student
StartBEFORE YOU START: Share your Favorite Photo!
StartWhat You'll Learn In This Module
StartLesson 1: Introductions and the Journey (30:18)
StartLesson 2: But First...Big Girls Get Organized!! (10:38)
StartLesson 3: Key Vocabulary (12:17)
StartLesson 4: Demystifying the Dial (15:07)
StartLesson 5: Exploring the Menu (8:57)
StartLesson 6: Camera Settings Explained (10:56)
"My husband got me a camera for Christmas last year. I never touched it, since I didn't even know where to begin, so he got me a photography class for Christmas this year. Andrea taught a 3-weeks beginners class. She taught us all the basics we needed to know about getting started with your "big girl" camera, and her enthusiasm and passion for photography was more than contagious. Andrea was able to explain things that have always been super confusing in a way that made sense, and the assignments were exactly what I needed to get me started. I have not put my camera down since taking the class, and I never thought it could be this much fun!!! Her class was the perfect gift that keeps on giving!!!"
- Sabine Brennan, Student
LEARN FROM ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, ON ANY DEVICE.
Great Instruction. No Commute.
Hi, I'm Andrea. The Big Girl behind The Big Girl School. Since 2011, I've been teaching (mostly!) women that all those buttons don't have to be scary!
My love of photography started WAY before my pictures were any good. I've always been the scrapbook maker, the historian, and the slide show builder. My love of making beautiful images has grown over time. What started as a desire to get better pictures of my girls turned into a side-hustle. That side hustle has grown and evolved over the years to a full blown business that has taken me on many great adventures capturing everything from Fortune 500 CEO's to country music stars to up and coming entrepreneurs.
My path to teaching rose out the fact that so many people came to me with questions that I started an in-person workshop in my basement as a way to raise money for charity. Over time, the demand for these classes has grown, but my basement has not! And that's how the Big Girl School was born.
As a former Microsoftie, I absolutely love breaking down what seems like technical and complex words into something very easy to understand and practice. I get goose bumps when my students high five and declare they will never use "Auto" again. I live for that breakthrough moment when they can see with their own eyes the difference that being in control of your camera makes.
I hope you'll join me and learn to use your Big Girl Camera!!
Frequently Asked Questions
LEARN TO USE YOUR BIG GIRL CAMERA
Beginner Online Photography Course
- Three Weeks of Video Instruction plus quick reference guides and bonus downloads
- Weekly Assignments with Personalized Feedback
- LIVE weekly Q&A in a private Facebook Community
- Lifetime Access means you can work at your own pace
GET IMMEDIATE ACCESS TO THIS CLASS!